Saturday, March 16, 2013

MOOCs: Where Are The Librarians?

[snip]

I don’t believe these massive online course offerings will never equate to legitimate education without serious modification.  I noted that Cathy Davidson posed a question in her blog, asking where are the students in the MOOC equation?  I ask, where are the librarians? Where are the serious research components that allow for critical thinking, higher-level educational outcomes?  Do Harvard and Berkley and Penn all of the others seriously believe MOOCs replicate classroom education or even accredited online education? I can’t believe they do.  I can’t believe we as educators are even considering the question. Have we forgotten what education actually entails? I can't help but wonder if MOOCs are the greatest marketing technique in higher education since naming a building after a donor.  Where are the librarians???

Source and Full Text Available At 

[http://hastac.org/blogs/elizabeth-dill/2012/08/14/moocs-where-are-librarians]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.